Thursday, January 19, 2012

Keeping the PuppiesHappy

Today we are down to two three puppies left from the older litter from SiSi. They are 8 and a half weeks old. This litter includes our 'Gal". It becomes more work now that they are over 8 weeks so I went out to sit in the puppy run to give them their individual time so that they wouldn't think all I was good for was food and water and to bug them buy giving them the wormer paste that the vet gave me. Ha! Zero was becoming a little aloof because she hates the wormer paste and she associated me with that awful taste! Yikes, the paste monster is coming! So I sat out there waiting for her to decide to come to me so that I could give her some lovin'. She sat and watched as the others gathered around me for tummy rubs and a few kibbles fed by had. Slowly she started making her way towards me. She stopped occasionally to watch me as if to make sure that I didn't have the yellow bottle in my hand. As she came within reaching distance of me she became a little more cautious so I just looked away and paid most of my attention to the other puppies. She finally came over crawling on her belly like she was trying to make herself very small. Puppies do this to make sure that a person or another dog will know that they mean no harm. It's sort of like saying "I come in peace...". So I reached out to touch her but not on top of her head. If a dog is unsure it's best to reach under their chin or toward their chest so as to let them know you are not trying to trap them or pick them up.

Moments later she was climbing all over me like the other puppies were and all was right with the world. It felt good to give all three of them their individual attention so that they each feel like something special happens when the humans come into the picture. There have been times when I had a litter of puppies that I got too busy and didn't take the time to sit with them at this stage and some of the pups can become a little shy. This is easily avoidable so I am determined not to let it happen again.

Zero is so outgoing and I didn't want to harm her view of humans. On the  contrary I want to improve it at every opportunity. She used to come so quickly when people would come into the puppy run but that nasty yellow paste was not her friend. She had started to run away and I always want the puppies who leave to have a good recall when they go to their new homes. I can't control what happens after they leave but at least I can give them the best foundation while they are here.

She may be going to a new home tomorrow, I don't know, so it is a good thing that she is happy to be with humans as well as the other dogs. If she gets picked by a puppy buyer she needs to feel confident that the human is her source of comfort, not just the dispenser of the yucky stuff! Ha!

Happy Training!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I can remember there has been a special dog in my life. There have been times when the only thing I can remember about life is how it seemed in relation to my dog/s. I used to walk miles with my German Shepherd Dog, Princess, who my cousins found in a canyon in Southern California. I never knew how she would influence my life and through me the lives of others. I thank God for his gift and for my mentors at the Brevard County Dog Training Club and all the others who have influenced my life and encouraged me through dogs! Dogs are not my whole life but they are a very special part! I thank my family for encouraging me to persue this passion! I am a dog inthusiast who occasionally has a litter of dogs to place. I am not a professional breeder so we only have a few pups a year to place if any at all. Thanks for sharing interest in our dogs!

Followers