Saturday, January 21, 2012

Helping Puppy to Find the Heel Position and Learn to Walk at Your Side

Today I had the pleasure of working with a really nice couple who are new puppy owners. I wanted to help them teach their puppy to desire to be right by their side when they are outside with her. The first thing I did was to get rid of the leash. I prefer not to use the leash at first when teaching this skill because most of us have a tendency to pull and jerk on the leash or let the dog pull us around for fear that we will hurt him/her. If you have to use a leash for this lesson it is a good idea to use a clip to hook the leash to your waist band or belt on the left side. This will help you resist the temptation to pull on the leash instead of helping the puppy to find the heel position by herself.

Make sure your puppy is hungry, I only feed a dog in training at night so that they stay hungry and I will have lots of opportunities to train all day. I usually have a canvas treat bag that will hook on my belt or waist band(available in pet stores) filled with goodies. I show the puppy the juicy treats so she can smell them and get the idea. Now when I say treats I'm not talking about store bought cookies. It is always good to use really interesting treats that will get and hold their attention. I use string cheese, cut up hot dogs (I use the chicken pork ones from Walmart and I dry them in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.) or roasted chicken or steak left overs, especially if you are working outside with all the distractions that come with a walk. The treats should be soft so the puppy can ingest them quickly. They must be small, it's about the taste, not the filling. I like to use pea sized treats for a medium sized dog/puppy. Let the puppy smell the treats so he is interested and then start walking. The puppy is likely to lag behind and you may sort of drag him for a little while until he starts to follow you. He may wrap himself around you. Each time he gets to your left side, or anywhere near there, reach down and give her a treat. Be very generous with your treats. Feed them like a machine gun as long as they are on the left side or close to that spot. At first it will be tedious and it might feel like it's not going to happen but be persistent. Before long you should be able to give her a treat and continue walking. Try not to stop each time if she is willing to continue following you. This will give her the idea that it is in her best interest to find that spot and stay there. Don't give up. Most people will try this and give up right way because they underestimate their dog's ability to problem solve. Just keep at it and before long your dog will be walking next to you and watching, waiting for the next reward.

Keep walking forward and just reward if the right position happens. Never scold your puppy for wrong behavior. It's really not fair because he doesn't know it's wrong behavior after all. If you get tangled or he won't move to the left side just turn around so he has the opportunity to do the 'right' thing. Be patient and keep trying. Your dog will figure it out and you will have a dog who WANTS to walk at your side. If your dog gets fixated on another dog or a distraction then just turn and go the other way until he starts paying attention again.

Happy Puppy Training!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I can remember there has been a special dog in my life. There have been times when the only thing I can remember about life is how it seemed in relation to my dog/s. I used to walk miles with my German Shepherd Dog, Princess, who my cousins found in a canyon in Southern California. I never knew how she would influence my life and through me the lives of others. I thank God for his gift and for my mentors at the Brevard County Dog Training Club and all the others who have influenced my life and encouraged me through dogs! Dogs are not my whole life but they are a very special part! I thank my family for encouraging me to persue this passion! I am a dog inthusiast who occasionally has a litter of dogs to place. I am not a professional breeder so we only have a few pups a year to place if any at all. Thanks for sharing interest in our dogs!

Followers