Friday, January 6, 2012

House Training Tips!

A  main component to house training is confinement. Crate training is the most efficient way to confine a dog and since dogs generally don't like to eliminate where they eat or sleep.........
 this can really speed up the process. There are other ways to contain your dog

 such as using and exercise pen (a small fence that can be attached to itself in a circle and is portable). I sometimes use a leash to connect my puppy to a chair or table leg if I will be sitting or to my belt loop if I will be up walking around. This is also good for teaching him to pay attention to you.

Another important thing is to have is a schedule. It should look something like this.

House Training Schedule

1) Wake up and go outside immediately. (you may want to pick your puppy up so that he won't pee as he leaves the crate before he gets to the door). Keeping the crate next to the door is a good idea.

2) If it is time for a meal you should feed him when you return to the house (puppies should be fed 2 to 3 times a day) followed by about an hours playtime.

3) Back in the crate for at least an hour I usually do two hours in the crate. Most puppies seem comfortable with this length of time. Sometimes, if I'm busy, I will go up to three hours but I wouldn't do this often. This way you can be sure the puppy needs to empty his bladder and will have the best chance of making "it" happen outdoors.

4) Follow this up by another supervised playtime.

5) Repeat steps 2-4!


Food and Water: I discontinue both food and water at about 3:00 pm and put them out for the last time at around 9:00pm or just before I go to bed. Your dog will do fine without these for the duration of the night. This will allow him to have an empty bladder and it will help you to know that if he cries, it's not because he needs to go outside for a potty break. That way you can let him cry until he goes back to sleep. If he does go potty in the crate at night, don't worry too much. Just make the crate 'smaller' by putting a box in the crate to decrease the amount of area he has so he won't want to go in his crate where he sleeps or put him in a smaller crate if you have one. Occasionally a very young puppy, say 8 weeks or so, will have to go before sun up so be prepared to get up early. If he will tolerate it you can put him back in his crate with some food or a toy for a little longer until you are ready to get up but expect a few mornings of very early rising for the first couple of weeks. By the time they are 12 weeks old a puppy on this type of schedule will be able to sleep until sun up at least.

Do Not leave food down all day. This makes it very hard to figure out just when he will need to eliminate.

Supervision: Never let a puppy have the run of the house unsupervised. Limit the area of the house that the puppy is allowed to roam in to the living area or wherever you plan to spend the most time and can keep a good eye on them. Sometimes I will rearrange or block some hiding places that a puppy might find appealing to have some privacy for a potty break. If he has an accident then you must clean it up completely and try to eliminate the odor with a product designed specifically to eliminate pet urine and feces odor. There are several on the market. If you do not clean it up properly your puppy will want to return to that place again and again as his instinct dictates.


Tips:
1. Puppies will need to eliminate after activities such as very active playing or chewing on a toy for a long time. Sometimes they will stop during an active time of play to urinate so watch if he starts to go around sniffing with purpose. If you see this, scoop him up and take him outside quickly! Puppies also need to urinate after a nap or when they first wake up in the morning. If you take Fido outside on leash and then let him off leash after he does his business, he will feel like he is being rewarded for doing "it" outside. If you take him outside off leash to go and then when he does his business you bring him right back in the house, he may take his time going because he knows his time outside will end as soon as he eliminates. Of course if your puppy prefers the indoors then this will be the opposite. If you don't have a yard and must keep him on leash, then be sure to give him a little time to sniff around after he goes potty. This way you will not teach him that the fun is over after he pees!

2. Always reward your dog with lots of praise when he does his business outside! Do this as he completes the task not during elimination. You don't want to distract him from doing the WHOLE job. Never yell at your dog if he makes a mistake in the house. If you catch him in the act you can distract him with a noise. I use "uh, uh!!" or whatever your mother used when she wanted you to stop doing something quickly. Then take him up and show him the outside on his leash and give him a chance to do the rest of his business there. If he doesn't go, put him back in his crate and wait awhile for his bladder to fill up again, maybe a half hour or so. Then take him back outside. Remember, always stay calm and patient. Your puppy does not know the rules yet, any more than does a baby in diapers. Do this as many times as it takes. Don't assume that, because he didn't go that he doesn't need to. He might be saving it for the carpet! If it's been two hours you can be sure he needs to go again. Be patient! Just put him back in the crate if he doesn't go and try again. You'll be glad you did. REMEMBER he is learning so don't loose your temper. The calmer you remain the faster he will learn! Use lots of praise and healthy treats to reinforce good behavior. Ignore bad behavior for the most part and as soon as the behavior changes to the appropriate kind, calmly reward and praise him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I can remember there has been a special dog in my life. There have been times when the only thing I can remember about life is how it seemed in relation to my dog/s. I used to walk miles with my German Shepherd Dog, Princess, who my cousins found in a canyon in Southern California. I never knew how she would influence my life and through me the lives of others. I thank God for his gift and for my mentors at the Brevard County Dog Training Club and all the others who have influenced my life and encouraged me through dogs! Dogs are not my whole life but they are a very special part! I thank my family for encouraging me to persue this passion! I am a dog inthusiast who occasionally has a litter of dogs to place. I am not a professional breeder so we only have a few pups a year to place if any at all. Thanks for sharing interest in our dogs!

Followers