Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Teaching the Retrieve to a Young Puppy


I love to start this with a puppy when they are just getting started in life. It builds a great foundation for a dog to crave retrieving. There are two main componenets to this early on. Getting down on their level in a small area and making sure it stays fun. Now there are some puppies who will require more than this but if your puppy already likes to carry things around in his mouth, the main thing you have to help him learn is t...hat when he has something long and fuzzy or stringy in his mouth, if he brings it to your vacinity it COMES TO LIFE! Dogs naturally like to chase things that move. It's attached to their survival instinct. I like to get them tugging on the other end of it and then when your puppy lets go, just give it a short toss. Make sure he sees you do it. If he has just a little bit of drive and trust in you he will bring it to your vicinity even if he doesn't bring it right back to you. Try not to act like you are going to take it but when you get a chance just play a short game of tug and you can let him win now and then but if you win just toss it a short distance and then when he brings it in your area again repeat this. If you keep from making direct eye contact your puppy will be less intimidate. Men usually have more trouble with this than women for some reason. Direct eye contact in the dog world is a sign of dominance or even agression between dogs.

If he/she EVER brings you a toy, whether you want it or not, Play, Play, Play! Pay him for bringing it to you. There is plenty of time later to teach him 'not now'. At this early stage, pay your dog for doing any of the things that you will eventually use to teach him the retieve. You can do this in a small area so that they don't run off with the toy into the other room or something. This is another reason to limit the amount of toys your dog has to play with, it make it special when he only has a few. Too many, just like kids and they will get bored and go looking for a shoe or a ball of yarn. Small areas are always best for puppies when teaching them stuff like this. You can even put a string on the toy so that you can get it from him more easily. There are other ways to do this, this is just one way. More on this later!

Happy Training!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I can remember there has been a special dog in my life. There have been times when the only thing I can remember about life is how it seemed in relation to my dog/s. I used to walk miles with my German Shepherd Dog, Princess, who my cousins found in a canyon in Southern California. I never knew how she would influence my life and through me the lives of others. I thank God for his gift and for my mentors at the Brevard County Dog Training Club and all the others who have influenced my life and encouraged me through dogs! Dogs are not my whole life but they are a very special part! I thank my family for encouraging me to persue this passion! I am a dog inthusiast who occasionally has a litter of dogs to place. I am not a professional breeder so we only have a few pups a year to place if any at all. Thanks for sharing interest in our dogs!

Followers